help people hire household staff
website for quitt.ch
quitt.ch is an online service company that helps people who hire household staff tackle the often cumbersome administrative paperwork by moving the whole process online.
I joined the company in summer 2015. Since then the start-up has grown steadily in customers and employees. However while the software – the centerpiece of the service – has been improved continuously, there has been little attention payed to the customer experience of the service.
The first step in changing this, was the redesign of the outdated website.
Before the redesign, shortcomings have often been solved by adding elements to the pages without removing others, which resulted in the website growing in uncontrolled ways.
- too much content with unclear structure
- frequent use of technical terms
- outdated look
Competitors and Stakeholders
The service of quitt.ch lives in a complex eco-system of complementary services (such as household help mediation services and even the household help themselves), partners (the insurance companies) and competitors (ranging from personal bookkeepers to cleaning agencies).
This position is not only challenging as competition might emerge form unexpected corners, but it also makes it very difficult to explain the value proposition of quitt.ch to new users.
Based on customer and public data I built five personas that reflect our target and answered the same set of questions for every persona.
quitt.ch is facing the problem that its service is completely intangible and the biggest amount of work happens behind the back of the user. At the same time its main value is that the user saves time because he/she doesn’t have to deal with topics such as insurance etc.
So how can we let the user understand the value of quitt.ch’s service while keeping the communication easy and thus the service even more desirable? In order to tackle this problem I analyzed some outstanding examples of service communication.
Design – Test – Repeat
At this point I started setting up the information architecture, built up wireframes and converted those to clickable prototypes with Axure. With the Axure-prototypes I conducted usability tests via Skype and face to face.
Update Brand Guidelines
So far the guidelines contained three RGB colors and a font. In the process of the redesign I refreshed the look of the brand and built a style guide directly in HTML and CSS.
The brand refresh included a shift:
- from three garish colors to a pallet of equivalent colors based on material design
- from a random use of colors to a color-code-system (shades of blue for different packages etc.)
- from stock photos to more natural imagery that reflects the user’s end-goal (a clean house, happy children, etc.)
The new website (published in March 2017) has a clear structure and a fresh look and serves as basis for further improvement based on data gathered through Google Analytics and crazyegg.
Some of the changes include:
- Clean, reduced navigation
- Photography used to trigger emotions rather than communicate content
- Clear value proposition “above the fold”
- Distinction between different offers supported by color-coding
- FAQ’s organized with regard to user’s decision phase
Have a look at the new website.